Bike trailers have been around for a very long time, and the concept hasn’t changed, today’s trailers just become better. Many trailers are available on the market, depending on their use.
Some are used to carrying children and pets as you bring them along on your biking adventure, while others are meant as a utility cart that you can use to carry around your outdoor gear.
Many trailers perform excellently on the road, while the others are built for off-road use. Some can even handle light trails and rocky terrains.
Whatever your purpose for purchasing a bike trailer, we will surely have one for you, and you do not need to do extensive research any further! In this article, we will look at the best bike trailers you can purchase online, from high-brands to budget-friendly options.
Retrospec Rover Hauler Cargo
This is your utility-type bike trailer. If you are fond of bike camping and leisure biking, this bike trailer is surely the best for you.
- Large capacity – This bike trailer has a large carrying capacity that can help you haul everything that you need from your camping gear, food, bulky materials, even the toys of your kids, and luggage. It is measured at 27 x 24.5 x 20 inches.
- Light and sturdy – It is constructed from aluminum thus making it light and very strong regardless of its purpose.
- Flexible compatibility – This bike trailer is compatible with many bike types. It ranges from bikes with 20 up to 29-inch wheels that are using quick-release hubs.
- Secure, collapsible, and weather-resistant – This bike carrier is made out of weather-resistant fabric which will ensure that the stuff that you are transporting remains safe regardless of the climate. It also has built-in straps that would keep all your belongings in place. The frame is collapsible, so when it is not in use, you can easily keep it compact and easy for storage.
- For utility use only – This bike trailer is meant to haul your necessities and is not built to carry kids.
Burley Bee Trailer
This is a kid-bike-only trailer that you can easily attach to your 20-inch bike. It is one of the best choices out there because of its unrivaled durability, similar to many double trailer cargo trailers. Most trailers aren’t built for rugged use, but this one can handle a good beating.
- Size and capacity – Although this is meant for smaller bikes, this bike trailer is still spacious enough and measures 32.25 x 26 x 36 inches. It weighs only 21.8 pounds and can carry up to 75 pounds of cargo.
- Foldable with quick release hitch – This bike trailer can easily be folded and kept, just like many bicycle trailers. With just a push of a button, it can easily be removed from its mounting and folded for storage.
- Sturdy, light, and weatherproof – This bike carrier is both sturdy and light since it is constructed from aluminum. It is constructed out of 600D polyester making it weatherproof and keeping your child safe inside.
- Safe and secure – This bike carrier features a five-point harness which would ensure to keep your kid in place. It is also built with an aluminum roll cage which adds more protection to your child in case of accidents.
- Limited hitch options – Since this bike trailer is only meant for 20-inch wheels, its options are limited. You cannot attach this bike trailer to 29er bikes.
Instep Bike Trailer
If you have 2 kids and are fond of the great outdoors, this bike trailer is perfect for you. It has a double seating capacity and comes in a variety of colors.
- Can seat 2 kids – Bike trailers that are 1-seaters are much more common but the downside is, you will leave barely any more room for storage. This bike trailer however can seat 2 kids comfortably and even if you will utilize it for 1 kid only, you will have enough cargo space for storage.
- Sturdy tires and safety features – This bike carrier comes with 16-inch pneumatic tires that are molded on the rims thus increasing its performance, Both seats come with a 5 point harness system which ensures that the riders will be kept safe and in place a tall times.
- Folding frame design – The frame is made out of aluminum making it lighter at 23 pounds and can carry up to 80 pounds. It has a folding frame design that is coupled with quick-release wheels making it very convenient for storage and transport.
- Weatherproof with a bug screen – This product is weatherproof thus protecting your kids from the elements. It also has a dual canopy with a bug screen that also covers the windows and vents.
- Limited hitch options – Although it has an adjustable tow hitch, it can only accommodate 20 to 26-inch wheels.
Schwinn Rascal Bike Pet Trailer
Regarding reliable brands, Schwinn has been a household name for many years. They focus mainly on those trusty budget mountain bikes that are perfect for those who want to go try mountain biking.
And if you are one of those who like to bring their furry friends on outdoor adventures, then this bike trailer is the perfect pair for your mountain bike.
- Safe and secure – This bike trailer is constructed out of high-grade aluminum which makes it safe and sturdy for your furry friend. It weighs 25.9 pounds and can carry up to 50 pounds. It has a safe platform for your pet which you can also use as a utility carrier for all of your outdoor needs.
- Compact and durable design – This has a foldable frame design coupled with quick-release wheels that allows you the convenience of compact storage and easy transport. Its coupler is capable of attaching to any type of bicycle. Contrary to other choices, this product is designed with air-filled tires that are installed on an aluminum frame. It can be pumped with any standard bicycle pump making it very convenient for riders. The door is installed at the back for your pets, although the canopy itself can also be removed. It also features a leash that would keep your furry friend in place.
- For utility and pet use only
- This bike trailer cannot be used for humans. You can uses this as a utility trailer though given that it is built with a solid platform.
If you are looking for higher-end trailers to purchase online, then this is one of the most highly rated products you can buy. The Encore X is built to carry 2 kids, has a dimension of 33 x 31 x 37 inches, and can carry up to a hundred pounds.
- Comes with a stroller kit – Another feature that makes this pull behind bike trailer different from the others is that it comes with a stroller kit. That means it has a wheel that is attached to the tow hitch. You can easily use this product as a stroller right out of the box when you are not using this as a trailer.
- Tires come with suspension – This trailer comes with 20-inch wheels and a suspension system making the ride comfortable for your kids. The larger wheel size makes it easier to roll over obstacles as well making this perfect if you want to go mountain biking.
- Safety system – The carriage comes with 5-points that aids to keep your kids in place and it also has an adjustable handlebar that aids the roll cage when it is connected to a bike.
- Good ventilation and weatherproof – This comes with a water-resistant cover that protects against wet conditions and makes it ideal for bike rides. It also acts as a sunshade that shields your kids from harmful UV rays.
- Higher price point – This product comes at a higher price point when compared to the average bike trailer price.
Burley D’lite X
The Burley D’lite X bike trailer is also a stroller kit that comes in 2 variations: single and double seating. This is a premium product that makes it convenient for you to transition from biking to strolling.
- Adjustable suspension – What’s great about this product is that it is designed with adjustable suspension which is a good feature especially when you a riding larger bikes. You can also adjust the so that it would fit the terrain that you are riding on.
- Reclining seats – The carriage also comes with reclining seats that feature 3 different adjustments. If you have 2 seaters, the reclining adjustment is independent for each seat. The seats are also padded which includes a premium headrest making it perfect for your kids.
- Larger wheels – Burley D’lite X comes with 20-inch wheels that feature an aggressive tread design making it perfect for off-road use.
- Conversion kits – There are also conversion kits for this trailer that will make it compatible with a jogger, stroller, and skiing conversions.
- Safety features – What’s good about this bicycle trailer is that it is designed to endure all kinds of weather conditions, from wet to sunny. The Burley D’lite X also features a hub-activated wheel brake, which keeps the trailer secure and in place when you are unloading cargo or passengers. Its height is adjustable as well and is complete with a roll-bar for added safety and sturdiness.
- Higher price point – As expected, this product comes at a higher price than all the rest. But since it is feature-packed, it is a bang for the buck.
The bike trailers from Schwinn do not only focus on pet carriers, they have budget trailers for kids as well. This product is good for tail use and has a 1-person capacity.
- Ergonomic and easy to keep – The Schwinn Echo comes with its trademark folding frame that you can easily keep and set up for use. It is made from high-grade aluminum making it very light and easy to carry around.
- Generic coupler – Its tow hitch can fit various bike designs and sizes. It can hitch onto any bike that features 20 to 29 wheelsets making it very versatile.
- Can be used as a utility carrier – This product can easily be converted into a utility carrier that you can use when you are out on trails. It comes with a weatherproof design which is perfect if you are opting to go bike camping in the great outdoors. This bicycle trailer features 16-inch air-filled wheels that are molded to the rims and can carry up to 52 pounds. If you are using it as a child carrier, it can hold a kid that is up to 40 pounds and it features additional storage of up to 12 pounds that you can utilize for your other needs, similar to many bicycle trailers.
- Only comes in single-seat design – Although this is perfect especially for its price point, it only comes in a single-seat design, which makes it not that good when compared with other child bike trailers and double bike trailers.
If you’re thinking that bike trailers are limited to child carriers and light utility use then you are wrong. This is the Burley Flatbed, the perfect utility bike trailer for heavy-duty cargo.
- Sturdy design – This is constructed out of high-grade aluminum and measures 33 x 16 x 31 inches. It is quite lightweight, coming in only 12.9 pounds but it can carry up to 45 kilograms maximum weight capacity in cargo. It comes with 2 16-inches air-filled heavy-duty tires that are installed on spoked aluminum wheels. It also features a forged hitch which makes it sturdy enough to attach to a bike while carrying a heavy load.
- Easy to keep – The wheels on this can easily be disassembled for easier storage.
- You have to purchase accessories – There are many available accessories, i.e. cargo nets, for this bike trailer that you can also purchase online since it only comes with the normal straps.
Bike trailers come in many shapes and forms, depending on their purpose. The price point varies as well. There are dual-purpose trailers that you can get, you just have to ensure they are built right.
What we have provided is the best in the market, so now it is up to you to decide what you need for your riding style.
- Can a Mountain Bike Pull a Bike Trailer
- How to Hook Up a Bike Trailer
- Are Bike Trailers Bad for Bikes?